Friday, July 06, 2012

Herb Garden in Containers

I always have herbs in my garden, but I usually plant them along with the flowers that I've planted in my deck containers.  Since I have a very shady yard, it's impossible to grow veggies and herbs in a large space, so I work them in containers when I can.  However, this year, I decided to have a dedicated herb container.
Recently I made dinner for my Book Group and spent $7.50 on fresh herbs for the meal!  In early June I went to the local Farmers Market and bought a selection of fresh herbs for about $2.50 each. I found my container there too, and think it's a perfect size for about ten plants.  The rectangle container is 26 inches long, 13 inches wide, and 8 inches tall.

I figure growing your own herbs is a bargain, even if some of them only last through the season.  I planted Italian Parsley, Basil, Chives, French Tarragon, Mint, Rosemary, Thyme, Sweet Marjoram, Winter Savory, Dill, and Dwarf Sage.  Container Herb Gardens are so much fun for any age and situation!  I recently planted one for my Mom to enjoy in her apartment space, and my college student daughter was excited to make a planter for her downtown condo.
 The Mint is getting too large and will have to be planted in it's own container, so I thought I'd replace it with some Cilantro.  I was thinking Catnip might be fun to plant in it's own container too.  My Sister-in-law says her cats like eating it off the plant, but many people dry it and put it in toys.  Now to find some recipes to use all these great herbs, stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Your mini garden is so cute! I love how they’re all in one container! This is a good way to start an herb garden. Start small then expand when you know you’re ready for more. Oh, it looks like your herbs are getting growing even more. You have to separate it so that it won't die and affect the other herbs.

    -Katelin Mccaig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! ยารักษาริดสีดวง

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding your comment to my blog!

 
UA-10219646-6