Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Snow Event and Minestrone Soup

Well, it was a rude return from sunny Florida to a 'weather event' in Portland.  We don't call it a snow storm, because you never know what you're getting here. You could have snow, but more likely you'll get slush and ice.  After a week of non-stop weather hype, we finally did get a little skiff of snow. Meanwhile, the night before, I was at the store getting everything I would need to survive alone for 4 days, since 'dear husband' was out of town, and it would be me and the animals stuck on the hill!  I'm sure anyone from the East Coast laughs their heads off every time Portland goes into weather panic mode. In the end, we did get about two inches of snow, just enough to close schools and keep people off the roads.
On a cold day, nothing sounds better to me than soup, so I put together a pot of Minestrone that I adapted from a recipe.  Measurements are approximate, and you can adjust to fit your needs.  This soup freezes really well, so it's great to put some away for later.

Vickie's Minestrone Soup
Saute 1 small onion with about 4 cloves of Garlic in Olive Oil
add 6 diced slices of Canadian Bacon
add 2 cartons of Chicken Broth
1 large can of diced Tomatoes
2 sliced zucchini
1 ea. diced Green and Red Pepper
3/4 c sliced Carrots
1 Anaheim Pepper diced
1 can White Beans
1 can Black Beans
add Dill, Italian Seasoning, 1 tsp red Pepper Flakes
2 Bay Leaves
simmer for 1 hour
1/2 hour before serving, add 1/2 c. Orzo
serve with a handful of fresh Spinach
top with Parmesan cheese
Serve with Olive French Bread...Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm supposed to be eating light... but this cold weather makes me want to curl up with a hot bowl of hearty soup and a book!

    Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll have to give it a go!

    -Tiffany with Will Write 4 Food
    http://tiffanywillwrite4food.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks yummy and I love your bowl :)

    I always think the East Coasters must laugh at us too, when the panic sets in when we get an inch of snow and the schools close :)

    Have a lovely Evening, T :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding your comment to my blog!

 
UA-10219646-6