Thursday, July 15, 2010

Everyone Loves A Parade

Over the 4th of July, we were at our favorite Manzanita Beach for the big parade.  Each year, the population of our little town swells from about 750 people to over 7,000.  It's a lot of fun to see all the entrees from dogs and kids on bikes, to floats on flatbed trucks,  This year, people really put some thought into their entrees.  Check out 'I Spy' and the Floating Jellyfish below.
We promised our neighbor, Gertie a ride in our 1943 Willy's Jeep.  DH had it restored a few years ago, and now it makes an occasional appearance at car shows and parades.  Gertie was excited, but a little embarrassed by all the fuss.  I made a sign "Gertie Smith, The Belle of Nehalem, 95 Years Young!" People clapped and called out greetings to her as she rode along the parade route.  Later, she joked "I should have put my phone number on that sign!" How great is that? When I grow up, I want to have an attitude like Gertie's.  She has a love of life and a understanding of what's important in life.  Gertie is shown with DH, who is driving, and his brother, Dave, chief co-pilot and candy thrower. 
Several neighborhoods came out in full force with parade entrees.  Here are a few of my favorites:
Mom and I and the dogs, Lulu and Molly watched from the sidelines, appreciating the fact that the route was two blocks longer this year.
 
More parade shots: The Garlic Girls
A Happy Dog
and a sense of fun!

1 comment:

  1. Great times at the Manzanita Parade, as always! Glad I could be a part of the Birthday Celebreation. Gertie was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding your comment to my blog!

 
UA-10219646-6