Monday, February 20, 2012

Brooklyn New York

I have a thing for bridges, maybe because living in Portland, we have a lot of them!  It was a real treat to take the subway to Brooklyn Bridge Park, and find myself between the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge. It's an interesting place, one that is undergoing a renaissance of new development. 
It was a clear, windy day, and I can upon this cute couple having their wedding photos taken.  I remember when I was a wedding photographer having other people shoot my shots, so it was fun to be on the other side.  Their waiting Limo was festooned in red for good luck!
  I always remember this area being the favorite location of crime scenes in shows from the 70's, so it was nice to see that it's an area that's being redeveloped into shops, galleries and fun restaurants.  I still think it's a popular destination to film movies and commericals though, after reading about complaint from neighbors who are sick of their lives being disrupted.
I couldn't resist snapping a picture of this hot pink girly bike!
Where Seattle and Portland have Coffee shops, New York seems to have an abundance of good bakeries!

We stumbled upon this colorful bakery called One Girl Cookies, where they have miniature cookies that are a work of art! We bought 5 for $10 and I'd like to say that I took a photo, but we enjoyed them on our way back to midtown. It was such a windy day, I felt like I was going to be blown into the East River!  
Interesting decor
Since I knew ETSY was located in the DUMBO area of Brooklyn, I thought it would be fun to try and find them. They weren't easy to find with no signage on the brick building that showed their address.  We saw a small sign in the lobby and signs leading to doors upstairs!  I had hoped to find a reception area of some kind with a story of what they are about, perhaps some art work.  I did run into an employee in the hall, who was very gracious, and who thanked me for being a vendor.  He even offered to give us a tour, but since it was a holiday weekend, they were short staffed and nobody was available.  If you live in the area, they do have open to the public Craft Nights, so check the ETSY site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding your comment to my blog!

 
UA-10219646-6